Thursday, December 2, 2010

What I learned Part 2

I also learned that UA officials are... hmmm... what's a nice way to say "assholish"?
If you haven't heard a UA employee was fired for deviating from the "scripted" song list for the Iron Bowl.
The songs in question were "Take the Money and Run" by the Steve Miller Band and "Son of A Preacher Man" which has been covered by a lot of people. They were played before kickoff, to be honest, I never even heard them playing and I got to U4 with 15 minutes to go before kick. It's ridiculous, and somewhat embarrassing, not the playing of the songs, the fact that we fired the person who did play the songs is what is embarrassing.
It's our rival! We're supposed to make fun of them. It's not like "F! The Police" was being played as nuns cleaved orphans to their breasts to cover the childrens ears. No they were songs that simply made a joke, and I thought it was a fairly tasteful one given what some of the fans were waving, wearing, and screaming. But uber-sensitive UA officials decided those songs were one toke over the line, (even that song I could see a stir over).

The other thing I learned is that fans are stupid, upon reading about this firing on cbssports.com the first post I saw was from a Barner "Typical classless Bama..." was his remark. Right because Auburn is the epitome of class and grace... that's why they hold the NCAA record for infractions and sanctions levied against their program, that high level of class they have. I got news for the barners, I've been to your stadium when Bama lost, I did not enjoy it. I'm not trying to say that every Auburn fan I ran into was saying something ugly or unkind, many of them were as nice as can be, but there were a few who made the rest look bad. And Bama has its fair share of idiots too, listen to Finebaum for about ten minutes and you can figure that out... though it's hard to top Tammy I have to admit.
Anyway, my point is, just like in life, in religious discussions, political discussions and so on, there are good people, there are bad people, there are kind people, and there are asses, in the end, no matter what group you belong to we're all human and we all fall into the bell curve somewhere. Some are good, some are bad, and everyone else is somewhere in the middle.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Ryan. As an avid football lover, I more than enjoyed your post. And I agree with every word. I LOL'ed at the comment about your mom cursing the tv "(didn't hear that from me)". I will miss you. Keep in touch please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the guy shouldn't have gotten fired...I didn't hear the songs playing either but if I had, I would've been singing right along w/ it! lol Enjoyed the talks about Alabama football w/ you Ryan!...And I enjoyed reading your paper as well! RTR!!! I hope the Gamecocks beat Auburn tomorrow!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete