Thursday, September 9, 2010

Football Is Religion

Religion, according to Merriam Webster, can be defined as “a personal set of institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices” and also as “a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.”

To me, this describes Alabama Football.

College Football has been called religion many times, but always with a touch of humor. I’m not sure it’s so funny.

For the next three and a half months stadiums will be filled with the faithful, and those who can’t make it will watch their chosen gospel from their homes. It reminds me of the faithful who watch their chosen gospel on Sunday mornings either from the pew or the couch.

Christians, for example, talk about the exploits of Jesus and the apostles. On Saturday I’ll be talking with friends about plays from the past with just as much reverence and admiration. The bible tells of stories of Jesus’ life in the gospels in the hope of giving guidance to adherents, Alabama fans quote Bear Bryant such as “It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.”

Interestingly enough, Bear once stated “Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her coachin’ and preachin’ were a lot alike.”

As a matter of fact, Alabama football is such a religion to me that upon finding out that my father has to stay in Auburn overnight for work I sent him the following text:

“Yea though I walk through the valley of evil I shall fear no orange for Nick’s Process and Bear’s hat protect me. They leadeth me out of delusion and cow pastures and into the gleaming glory of crystal footballs bathed in Crimson. Amen.”

At first I thought making a game actually sound like a religion was ridiculous, but the more I’ve thought about it, the more sane it sounded.

Football is not just a game, it never was. Perhaps one meeting between two teams is simply a game, but on the whole it is much more. Football is the place where fathers teach their sons about teamwork, dedication, hard work, respect, sportsmanship, how to handle losing, and how to handle winning.

Football is religion, winning is god, losing is the devil, Bear Bryant is my Jesus, and Nick Saban is my holy spirit. And come Saturday the Sabbath, I’ll be with the faithful in the temple, and god willing I’ll be caught up in joyous rapture with my brethren.

No comments:

Post a Comment